Joseph W Eichenbaum, MD
- SENIOR FACULTY | Ophthalmology
Over the last 20 years Dr. Eichenbaum has had extensive experience in treating complex problems involving:
- Uveitis, systemic illness and glaucoma;
- Orbital and central nervous system tumors in relationship to the eye, the sinus and the face;
- Difficult to fit contact lens issues, high astigmatism;
- Chronic recurrent dry eye, corneal, inflammatory, infection, and refraction problems;
- Ocular toxicology problems particularly related to the retina and cornea;
- Geriatric eye problems involving cataract, retina, macula, and low vision.
MD, Yale University School of Medicine
Clinical Elective Course, National Institutes of Health
MPH, Columbia University
Internship, Internal Medicine, Washington Hospital Center
Residency, Ophthalmology, Bellevue Hospital Center
Fellowship, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital
- A Zebrafish Model of Retinal Degeneration Examining: genetics, aging, environment, oxidative stress, protein misfolding, inflammation, and hypoxia.
- Epidemiology of Vision Loss in Geriatric Populations
- Toxicology of Lead and heavy metals in the retina and brain
- Stroke mechanisms in the eye and brain
Eichenbaum JW. Geriatric vision loss due to cataracts, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. The Mount Sinai journal of medicine, New York 2012; 79(2): 276-294.
Eichenbaum JW, Cinaroglu A, Eichenbaum KD, Sadler KC. A zebrafish retinal graded photochemical stress model. Journal of pharmacological and toxicological methods 2009; 59(3): 121-127.
Eichenbaum KD, Mezei M, Eichenbaum JW. Comparing Dynamic Contour Tonometry to Goldman & Hand Held Tonometry in normal Ocular Hypertension & Glaucoma Patients. Annals of Ophthalmology 2007; 39(1): 41-49.
Pevsner PH, Eichenbaum JW, Miller DC, Pivawer G, Eichenbaum KD, Stern A, Zakian KL, Kouther JA. A Photothrombotic Model of Small Early Ischemic Infarcts in the Rat Brain With Histologic and MRI Correlation. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 2001; 45: 227-233.
Eichenbaum JW, Swerdlow F. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia after reducing prednisone dosage in temporal arteritis. Annals of Ophthalmology and Glaucoma 1999 Jan/Feb; 31(1): 36-38.
[Cataracts] Trudo EW, Stark WJ, [Glaucoma] Podolsky M, [Macular Degeneration] Starr CE, Guyer DR, Yanuzzi LA, [Low Vision] Faye E, [Symposium Coordinator] Eichenbaum JW. A four article symposium on Failing Vision. Postgraduate Medicine 1998 May; 103(5): 113-178.
Weber CM, Eichenbaum JW. Editor Symposium: Acute Red Eye, Differentiating Viral Conjunctivitis from other Less Common Causes. Postgraduate Medicine 1997 May; 101(5): 185-196.
Eichenbaum JW, Burton W, Eichenbaum G, Mulvihill M. The prevalence of eye disease in two NYC nursing homes. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 1999; 28: 191-204.
Eichenbaum JW, editor. Treatment of Retinopathy of Prematurity. 1990, Mosby Year Book, Inc.;.
Eichenbaum JW, Friedman AH, Mamelok AE. A Clinical and Histopathological Review of Intermediate Uveitis (. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 1998 March; 64(2).
Eichenbaum JW. Trends in Cataract Surgery. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 1992 July; 68(3): 367-389.
Eichenbaum JW, Feldstein M, Podos SM. Corneal Ulcers in Extended Wear Aphakic Soft Contact Lenses. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1982; 66: 663-666.